The Scoop on Covid-19 Travel Insurance
As of November 1, 2020 ALL US States are welcome to travel to Costa Rica provided they abide by the regulations put in place by the Costa Rican government. Whereas Jason’s favorite scoop involves some delicious ice cream from Sitio Mata, we’ve got to discuss the scoop on traveler insurance in Costa Rica.
Travel protocols are in place and specific Covid-19 insurance is required when traveling to Costa Rica at this time. We have found that at present the travel insurances that fit all of the necessary requirements for Covid-19 coverage are provided by the Costa Rican government. Most of these policies do NOT cover trip delay, flight cancellations, etc. Therefore we recommend a supplemental travel insurance policy through Chubb or Allianz that encompasses more coverage if you were to experience a hiccup in your travels. At this point in time we have not found an international insurance provider that meets the Costa Rican government Covid-19 insurance mandates as well as general travel coverage. We are hopeful and working with a company to design a plan.
- Fill out the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS form, available at https://salud.go.cr.
- Travelers must have Medical Insurance.
- As of changes made on October 26, all travelers who enter Costa Rica by air are NOT required to present a RT-PCR diagnostic test with a negative result.
If utilizing a international insurance plan tourists must present a certificate from their insurance company, issued in English or Spanish, verifying the following three conditions. (This certificate must be uploaded when filling out the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS):
- Effectiveness of the policy during the visit to Costa Rica.
- $50,000 USD medical expense coverage in the event of becoming ill with the COVID-19 virus while in Costa Rica.
- Includes minimum coverage of USD $2,000 for lodging expenses issued as a result of the pandemic.
We have been conversing with international insurance companies hoping to draft a plan that meets the specific needs of Costa Rica so that travelers have another option long term. At this point in time, we recommend utilizing one of the aforementioned websites through the Costa Rican government.
For more detailed requirements and openings in Costa Rica, please go to https://www.visitcostarica.com/en/costa-rica/planning-your-trip/entry-requirements.
For more information on Covid-19 Insurance contact one of our travel specialists to help you through the process.